Thursday, March 25, 2010

What a friend we have in Jesus


I always like people more than they like me. Is that weird? When I become friends with someone I always think, going into the relationship, that it will last a lifetime. They often don't. I think of people as my friend and then never hear from them again. But some of my friends have been my friends for a looooong time. Like 35 years.

I don't really have a best friend other than Jesus and my husband. I wonder if it is because I am not a good friend? Or do I expect too much? I am a great giver of grace. I always need lots of forgiveness so I freely give it to others. But I also talk alot, about myself and others. And I say really, I mean REALLY, stupid things. I don't think alot before I speak.

Does "everyone" have a best friend?

My husband is a really good best friend, but doesn't he have to be? He is kinda stuck with my problems and idiosyncrasies. And he never likes to talk about purses.

Maybe I don't have a bestie because I hate to shop. I also spend alot of time with my husband and family. And maybe I smell? I wear skirts and maybe that is too weird. I don't always brush my hair. (I think we are are starting to realize what the problem is.)

I have a friend, who by the way is still my friend, tell me once she didn't share personal things with me because she only shared them with Jesus. How do you respond to that? It is admirable. It kinda makes the whole friendship thing useless. But she had a really good point.

Jesus is the ultimate best friend. He never tells you you are dumb. He doesn't care if you don't know what a Vera Bradley is. He likes your hair, He gave it to you. He likes that you seldom wear shoes and that you talk to your pets like they can understand. He never gets mad at us, even when we say REALLY dumb things to Him. And once, He died for us.

John 15: 12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

14Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.


All that He really asks in return for His unconditional friendship is that we do whatsoever He commands us to do. How hard is that? He was so kind and wrote it all down. Right there, in the Holy Bible! We can read it every day. But alias, do I. What a friend I have in Jesus, but what kind of friend am I to Jesus?

I am blessed that I do have alot of friends. Good friends. But I do have some friendships who's seasons have passed and gone. But others are still strong. But ultimately my "friendship" with our Lord is the most important.

What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised Thou wilt all our burdens bear
May we ever, Lord, be bringing all to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright unclouded there will be no need for prayer
Rapture, praise and endless worship will be our sweet portion there.


Blessings dear ones, Tracylea




2 comments:

  1. Tracylea, I have often thought the same things to myself.....I don't have a best friend, except hubby and Jesus, but do I need one? These 2 are sufficient for me. The Lord gave me a best friend on earth in my husband, and I couldn't have a better one, and He himself is my best friend over all. I am above all totally blessed!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have had similar thoughts. I have come to the conclusion that God does not allow me to have a best friend besides Him (& my husband) because He is a jealous God and I too easily go to my friend instead of Him when I need to talk. He wants me to confide in Him and talk to Him more than any other.....yet, He has blessed me with friends for 'seasons' when I needed them and some friends for seasons when they needed me. I am so glad to have a 'best' friend in Jesus!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

A Keeper of My Home, a wife, a mother, a friend, A God lover, Christ worshipper. I am wife of one really cute man, mommie of one fantastic son and daughter of Christ. I love to Keep My Home. It is my favorite thing to do.